The #1 Solution for Hair Loss Worldwide
No Cuts, No Scars, No Stitches and No Pain!
Are you considering a hair transplant, but you’re worried that the results might look unnatural? Do you have concerns about downtime after the procedure or visible scarring? Eternal Hair and Esthetics uses the direct follicle implant (DFI) technique for all types of hair transplants. DFI offers natural-looking results without incisions, so there’s no swelling or scarring. Men and women with all kinds of hair loss can benefit from DFI hair restoration. To learn more, call the office in Totowa, New Jersey, to schedule a consultation, or book an appointment online.
Am I a Candidate for a Hair Transplant?
The best way to determine if you’re a candidate for hair restoration is to schedule a consultation with an expert at Eternal Hair and Esthetics.
The most common type of hair loss that can be treated with hair restoration is androgenic alopecia. This condition is most common in men and is often referred to as “male pattern baldness,” however women may also experience androgenic alopecia, and it’s easily treatable for everyone.
You may be a candidate for a hair transplant if you have experienced any of the following:
- Gradual thinning on top of the head
- Circular or patchy bald spots
- Sudden loosening of hair
During your consultation, the experienced professionals at Eternal Hair and Esthetics will conduct a thorough dermatological examination of your scalp as well as diagnostic tests to assess the quality and density of potential donor hair sites
What is a DFI Hair Transplant?
Direct follicle implant (DFI) is a hair restoration technique in which individual hair follicles are extracted from a donor area of the head and implanted one at a time into the area that has been affected by hair loss. The back of the head, which typically has the healthiest follicles that are genetically resistant to hair loss, is the most common donor area.
The team of specialists at Eternal Hair and Esthetics have undergone rigorous training in internationally accredited DFI hair restoration protocols. The team uses an advanced tool that was designed for exclusive use by Eternal Hair and Esthetics to extract and implant each individual follicle.
The high success rate for hair transplants at Eternal Hair and Esthetics are based on three factors:
Your donor hair follicles are extracted individually, according to strict DFI guidelines. The exclusive tool allows for a maximum amount of healthy follicles to be retrieved.
Your donor hair follicles are kept at an optimal temperature in a hypo-thermosol solution for a short amount of time so they won’t break down before implantation.
The exclusive tool allows your specialist to control the direction, depth, and angle of every single implant. Because the tool has a diameter of less than 1mm, no incisions are required to receive the transplant follicle.
Why is DFI Better than Other Types of Hair Transplants?
You may have heard of follicular unit extraction (FUE), and/or follicular unit transplant (FUT or FUT-strip). These techniques require surgical incisions during the implantation process and in some cases also during the extraction process. In contrast, DFI requires no incisions at all, and the precision of the implant tool allows your specialist to have maximum control for the most natural-looking results available in the hair restoration industry.
What Should I Expect During a Hair Transplant Procedure?
If you’re a candidate for hair transplantation, you’ll be given instructions so you’ll know how to prepare for your procedure.
On the day of your treatment, you’ll recline in a special chair designed for hair transplant procedures, and your specialist will carefully extract the right amount of healthy follicles from the donor area.
When the extraction is complete, you’ll take a break, and then your specialist will begin the process of implanting the donor follicles into the recipient area. They’ll finish by placing gauze around your implants, and provide you with instructions about how to care for your implants at home.
When will I see results?
After transplantation, your new hair will gradually grow out in 8-12 months. You might notice that some transplanted hair falls out somewhere between 2-6 weeks after your procedure; this is normal and doesn’t indicate that your transplant wasn’t successful. Optimal results are usually seen between 12-18 months following your transplantation.
DFI vs. FUE
DFI is a type of FUE; however, not every FUE procedure is a DFI. In our years of haircare restoration, we have discovered that both techniques can provide amazing results. Both systems utilize directly implanting the follicle into the scalp. However, DFI follows a more specialized installation method that allows the follicles to be removed and implanted with a single tool. FUE requires our skilled surgeon to manually remove and implant the follicles. Both methods are considered:
- Capable of giving great results
- More natural results than other methods
Your surgery day will require you to follow a number of rules, including a thorough washing with only shampoo, product-free hair and eating a light meal. Other things you’ll need to do include:
- Avoiding aspirin and ibuprofen for the week prior to surgery
- No anticoagulant, Vitamin E or fish oil within 72 hours before the procedure
- No alcohol or narcotics within 72 hours before the procedure
Post-op will require a very strict focus on guidelines to ensure the procedure works as intended. Your schedule will include:
- Day 1-2 – Saline Spray every hour
- Day 3 – Return to clinic for a graft wash
- Day 10 – Return to clinic for scab removal wash
During post-op, you’ll also need to take the time to wash your donor area each day for two weeks (excluding surgery day). You will also need to avoid exercise, smoking, vaping, alcohol and head accessories for the first two weeks following surgery.
Some Common Experiences
There are a few things to note about receiving an FUE procedure as well. You will experience:
- Post-Op Shedding Phase – At first this can feel really disheartening. You went in to fix your hair loss, and seeing shedding can make you question the procedure. Let’s start by pointing out that shedding means the procedure worked being it’s caused by the trauma of the procedure and the replacement of follicles. This can last for a few weeks with hair loss tapering off slowly. Do not panic. This hair is going to grow right back in a short amount of time.
- “Slow” results – Hair takes a long time to grow, and it takes even longer to fill in. Your scalp needs to accept the follicles followed by letting them grow. This process usually takes between a year and eighteen months; however, some may experience results after an even longer amount of time. Just like the post-op hair loss, this is a completely normal experience associated with the procedure. Your specialist will talk to you about what immediate results you can expect as well as long term goals.
- Discomfort – We’re not going to say that you’re going to experience a large amount of pain because the procedure is pretty pain-free. However, you may experience some slight discomfort.
- Some self-care time – Your scalp will need some TLC after your procedure, so it only makes sense that we lead you every step of the way. We will give you detailed instructions for your post-op care, but expect to care for your scalp for the next few weeks to ensure best results.